WITTON Albion claimed a second win at Shawe View this season after a hard-fought 2-1 victory over Trafford in the Evo-Stik First Division North.

Albion, who knocked the North out of the Emirates FA Cup in August, took an early lead through Daniel Andrews.

Midfielder Andrews doubled their lead from the penalty spot on 27 minutes as boss Carl Macauley looked on course for his first league win since replacing Scott Dundas.

Top scorer Jack Dorney brought the hosts back into the game in the second half and later hit the crossbar but Tom Baker’s side suffered their first defeat in five matches.

The visitors, who end a run of six successive league defeats, were on top until midway through the second half and fought off a late battle from the hosts.

Albion began the game the brightest, maintaining possession and switching play often. They opened the scoring after just eight minutes through midfielder Andrews, who was sharp throughout.

The Cheshire outfit pressed from the restart and looked like doubling their lead when Jamie Matthews was clean through, only to be ruled offside in the 12th minute.

More pressure from Albion was rewarded in the 27th minute when the referee awarded them a penalty that on another day may not have been given – and a clinical finish down the middle gave Andrews his second of the game.

It was a game split by two halves, the first noticeably in favour of the visitors. Trafford only managed to register their first shot on target in the 39th minute from Dorney.

The contest could have been over before half time thanks to a goalkeeping error from Russ Saunders, who failed to clear his lines effectively but the visitors could not capitalise.

Trafford boss Baker made two changes at half-time as Sam Noar, the match winner in the previous home game against Mossley, and Dimitri Tuanzebe for Ashley Stott and Chris Palmer.

Tuanzebe provided energy down the left that was previously missing from the hosts and linked well with Luke Horrocks, who was Trafford’s best player on the day. He was a tricky customer for the visitors, working tirelessly throughout.

Trafford did pull one back in the 62nd minute when Dorney beat the keeper with a well-placed side foot finish into the bottom corner.

Trafford hit the bar with 15 minutes remaining when Dorney worked hard down the right and clever feet allowed him to guide a cross into the box but the bar was in the way.

The hosts continued to probe and completely dominated the final 10 minutes but could not convert any chances.

It was only a second defeat in seven home games for the North, who remain five points behind the play-offs in seventh place and travel to Farsley Celtic next weekend.

Albion, who are now six points clear of the relegation zone, will be looking to register their third win on the trot in all competitions next Saturday when they host Scarborough Athletic.


Trafford FC: Saunders, Palmer (Noar 45’), Caldecott, Woodford (Roberts-Nurse 63’), Ledson, Gumbs, Rick, Jacobs (c), Ashley Stott (Tuanzebe 45’), Dorney, Horrocks.
Subs not used: Lambert, Green.
Booked: None

Witton Albion: Firth, Gardner (c), Dawson, Brewster (Bainbridge 63’), Wilson, Reeves, Menagh, Hughes, Matthews, Schofield (Roddan 71’), Andrews.
Subs not used: Neild, Titchiner, Salmon.
Booked: Andrews, Daniel.

Referee: R Sherwood

By Pat Dook at Shawe View

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *