FC UNITED of Manchester were knocked out of the FA Trophy after Telford United progress into the First Round Proper of the FA Trophy.

Telford scored in both halves and put in a tenacious defensive performance, aided by wastefulness from the home side, who got a late consolation goal.

The latter stages of the second half were marred by a horrific injury to stand-in captain Liam Brownhill, who was treated on the pitch for almost 10 minutes before being carried off breathing through an oxygen mask.

The night ended with further disaster, as substitute Rory Patterson was sent off in the 89th minute, having only been on the pitch for 10 minutes.

After conceding 11 goals in three matches, Telford defended with tooth and nail as manager Rob Smith directed a steady torrent of instructions at his players.

The first chance of the match fell FC United’s way, with Rory Fallon forcing a save out of visiting keeper James Montgomery with an accomplished volley.

However, it was fellow National League North strugglers Telford who took the lead through Curtis Tilt in the tenth minute.

The defender poked the ball home at the back post after FC failed to deal with a cross properly. Their shaky defending was a feature throughout and they never looked at ease at the back.

Three minutes after they scored their first, Telford found the back of the net again. However, Dave Hibbert’s celebration was cut short as the linesman flagged for an earlier offside.

FC United were a threat on the break but, despite several good chances and corners, they could not equalise.

In the 36th minute, FC skipper Brownhill went down with an injury and was treated for around 10 minutes on the pitch.

Players resorted to an impromptu kickabout as they waited in the bitter cold while the left-back was breathing through an oxygen mask.

As he was carried off on a stretcher, it was revealed that Brownhill had suffered a puncture wound to his leg and was subsequently taken to hospital.

The referee played an extra seven minutes to compensate for the delay and both teams generated chances before the half time whistle.

FC looked sharper in the second half, perhaps shocked into action by the injury to their captain. However, Telford maintained their organization, offering the home team little in the way of chances but their opponents again failed to capitalise on opportunities that came their way.

Young midfielder Harry Winter was wasteful on the hour mark, directing a free header over the Telford goal.

As FC United threw everything forward and started posing a threat, they were exposed by Callum Hassan in the 67th minute.

The 6ft 4in journeyman muscled Dean Stott off the ball and curled it past keeper Dave Carnell with a delightful finish that left the Greater Manchester side stunned.

His solo effort deflated hopes of a comeback as fans and players began to show their frustration.

Patterson, who had only come on as a substitute in the 77th minute, was shown a straight red card a minute from full time for a bad foul.

As the crowd grew wild with indignation, George Thomson slotted home a consolation goal deep into extra time.

It was a calamitous night at Broadhurst Park, which featured a malfunctioning, floodlight, a second half fire alarm, a terrible injury, and yet another crushing result.

FC have now failed to win any of their last eight home games in 90 minutes and are out of all cup competitions.

The victory for Telford – their second away to the Rebels this month – boosts their confidence and finances, both of which have been in a bad state of late.

Meanwhile, FC United will find it even harder to improve the mood in their camp as their squad is weakened by injury and suspension.


FC United of Manchester: Carnell, Thurston, Brownhill (c) (Lindfield 44’), Sheridan, Stott, Ashworth, Fallon, Winter, Greaves (Daniels 77’), Thomson, Madeley (Patterson 77’).
Subs: Patterson, Brown, Wolfenden.
Booked: Madeley (70’)
Sent-off: Patterson (89’)

Telford United: Montgomery, Samuels (Deaman 45+6’), Brownhill, Rea, Slade, Tilt, Wilkinson (Paratore 85’), Dawson, Hibbert, Hassan, Austin.
Subs: Rowe, Modest, Gorman.
Booked: Rea (70’)
Goals: Tilt (10’), Hassan (68’)

Referee: Billy Khatib (Tyne & Wear)
Attendance: 1,034

By Max Merrill at Broadhurst Park

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *