salford walsall

A Ryan Watson penalty helped Salford City to extend their unbeaten run and good home form after a 2-1 victory over Walsall Town.

Victory this weekend also marked the first time ever that the club was able to win a game after falling behind, since they were promoted to the English Football League.

Walsall were forced into making an early substitution as Donervon Daniels went down injured after just five minutes, with Rollin Menayese replacing him.

This was part of a fairly uneventful start to the game, with a Matty Lund effort that hit the post after being headed down to him by Brandon Thomas-Asante on seven minutes the only real occurrence.

Salford City warming up against Walsall – Credit: Dan McNeice

Walsall took the lead after 34 minutes, when substitute Menayese converted after a goal line scramble from a Jack Earing free kick was headed back across goal by Many Monthe. Despite Frank Fielding’s best efforts, the emergency goalkeeper in between the sticks for Salford, the linesman confirmed that the ball had crossed the line, 1-0.

However, this lead didn’t last long, with Matt Smith finding an equaliser on the stroke of half time. The ball falling to him via a Jordan Turnbull header in front of Jack Rose’s goal. He could not, and did not, miss, making it 1-1 going into the interval.

Walsall take a corner in the middle of the second half – Credit: Dan McNeice

Walsall almost retook the lead early into the second half after another goal line scramble, with Salford this time just about holding on, Monthe’s back heel dragging just wide of the post.

A busy second half hit its peak in the 66th minute, when Salford were awarded a penalty for a Liam Kinsella handball from Ash Hunter’s cross. Watson stepped up to the plate and cooly placed the ball in the bottom right hand corner for 2-1, giving The Ammies the lead for the first time in the game.

Heroics on the line from Turnbull saved Salford’s lead shortly after, as a header from Earing’s corner was acrobatically cleared off of the goal line by the defender.

Salford weathered a late Walsall storm that included a thunderbolt 35-yard strike after 82 minutes from Tyrese Shade that went inches wide of the target, as well as a 90th minute penalty shout after a late challenge on Conor Wilkinson that was denied to take home the three points.

Walsall squad warming up before kick off – Credit: Dan McNeice

This result means Salford have extended their unbeaten run to nine games, and win their second home game on the spin following their emphatic victory against Scunthorpe last week.

With their remaining two games in hand, this victory keeps Salford’s dreams of a play-off position very much alive and could spark a late season push for promotion.

Featured image credit Salford City FC (Charlotte Tattersall).

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *