FC UNITED of Manchester were held to a 1-1 draw at home, as Buxton earned themselves an FA Cup third qualifying round replay at Broadhurst Park.

Evo-Stik Premier Division side Buxton opened the scoring against the run of play, as Warren Burrell slotted the ball into the net a minute before half-time.

United had the bulk of the chances and possession, but it took them until the 78th minute to equalise, with striker Tom Greaves poking it home from close range.

The visitors from Derbyshire ended the match with nine men, after former Stockport County defender Glenn Belezika was sent off before Alastair Taylor was forced off with an injury, with Buxton having made all three substitutions just minutes before.


FC manager Karl Marginson made six changes from the 2-0 league loss to Worcester City last weekend, employing a back three and tasking his defenders to build the play from deep.

Fans had to wait until the 14th minute for the first chance, as Craig Linfield provided a dangerous cross that his teammates were unable to latch onto.

FC United had the bulk of the possession in the early stages, but failed to capitalise on their dominance, with Buxton registering the first shot on target in the 24th minute.

Buxton’s Ricky Ravenhill was substituted after 29 minutes, having been unable to recover from an ankle knock ten minutes earlier. His replacement Alex Wiles, whose looks were reminiscent of Manchester City’s summer signing De Bruyne, was lively following his early introduction.

In the 39th minute, Wolfenden looked certain to score for United, but the ball was cleared off the line and Buxton took the lead in the 44th minute.

The goal came from Warren Burrell who slotted the ball into the net after a neat exchange with Ash Burbeary in the box.

It was FC who made the brighter start in the second half, threatening the Buxton goal early on from a corner.

However, the visitors came closest to scoring after the break, when Alex Wiles chased down a back pass to keeper Carnell, but his attempt merely found the side netting.

Midfielder Sean Cooke replaced defender Tom Brown at the hour mark for United, as the home side switch to a back four. FC United have conceded seven goals in their last three matches before today and again looked shaky in defence before the tactical change.

Shortly after FC’s top scorer Madeley replaced Craig Lindfield, not one but two scraps occured in the Buxton penalty area. After a lengthy consultation with his assistants, referee Backhouse booked the away side’s right-back Belezika, who was later sent off in the 84th minute for a second bookable offence.

FC United finally drew level when Tom Greaves scored his fourth of the season from five yards out after 78 minutes. From then on the home side ramped up the pressure, urged on by a vocal Broadhurst Park crowd.

Having made the last of his substitutions shortly after the sending off, Buxton manager Martin Macintosh watched his side go down to nine men, as striker Alastair Taylor succumbed to injury minutes before full time.

Despite their numerical advantage, FC United could not find the winner and had to settle for a draw and a replay on Wednesday night. The winner of that match will progress to the fourth and final FA Cup qualifying round.

FC United of Manchester:  Carnell, Brownhill, Brown (Cooke ’59), Birch (Byrne ’72), Lynch, Ashworth, Wolfenden, Fallon, Graves, Wright, Lindfield (Madeley ’69).
Subs not used:  King (GK), Daniels, Murray, Thurston.
Booked:  Birch

Buxton:  Barnes, Belezika, Green, Ravenhill (Wiles ’30), J Bembo-Leta, Young, Doran, Burrell, Taylor, Hardy (Barraclough ’80), Burbeary (Buckley ’86).
Subs not used:  Kabeya, Jameson, F Bembo-Leta, Lee-Gascoigne.
Booked:  Green, Belezika
Sent-off:  Belezika

Referee:  Anthony Backhouse (Cumbria)
Attendance:  2,537

By Max Merrill at Broadhurst Park

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *