Shrewsbury Town have ended Salford City’s hopes of a second round tie in the FA Cup after their 3-1 victory over The Ammies.

The League One side booked a place in the second round thanks to a double from Fejiri Okenabirhie, in between a wonder goal from Rangers loanee Greg Docherty and a Salford goal courtesy of top scorer Adam Rooney.

Ammies boss Graham Alexander was frustrated with his sides first half performance, especially the denial of a penalty for an apparent foul on midfielder Tom Walker with the game at 2-1.

Alexander said: “The first half was really disappointing, we didn’t play like we know how we can. Shrewsbury fully deserved a lead and we didn’t change until we made the subs we did.

“I think we should of had a penalty, there was a couple of decisions that I think didn’t go our way.”

The defeat was only the third of Salford’s season and the first time Alexander has lost a game at the Peninsula Stadium.

Credit: Gaurav Chaddah/Salford Now

The visitors dominated early proceedings and Salford had goalkeeper Chris Neal to thank for keeping his side in the team, denying first a shot from Oliver Norburn and then saving well from a deflected shot from Fejiri Okenabirhie.

Shrewsbury however did take the lead just after the half hour mark. Norburn’s corner was headed powerfully by defender Luke Waterfall who was denied again by Neal, however he could only parry it as far as Okenabirhie who tapped in to the empty net.

Town began the second half lively, and on 63 minutes got a second when Greg Docherty, on loan from Rangers, produced a tremendous run, dribbling pass Salford full back Touray and hammering it into the roof of the net.

13 minutes from time however, Salfords hope was revitalised. Midfielder Danny Whitehead’s delightful cross was met by Adam Rooney who’s towering header was to good for Shrewsbury keeper Steve Arnold.

It was Rooney’s 5th goal in three games and his 17th in a Salford shirt since arriving from Aberdeen in the summer.

Referee Seb Stocksbridge then turned down frantic appeals for a penalty when midfielder Tom Walker looked to have been bought down before Okenabirhie bagged his second, slotting home from Josh Laurent’s rebounded shot.

Credit: Gaurav Chaddah/Salford Now

The defeat ends a run of 19 games unbeaten for the Ammies, who struggled for the first hour, not having a single shot on target until Tom Walker’s 61st minute free kick.Attention now turns back to the National League where they lie second, a point from top spot and travel to Solihull Moors on Saturday.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *