The spoils were shared in this afternoon’s SkyBet League Two clash between Salford City and Forest Green Rovers, as both sides failed to capitalise on a handful of chances in what ended in a 0-0 game. 

Rovers started the game the stronger side with plenty of chances, going into half-time looking most likely to break the deadlock.

But a more encouraging display in the second half from Salford, who also had their own share of opportunities to find the net, was enough to keep Rovers at bay.

Aaron Collins was the spearhead of Rovers’ attack and the number 10 almost set up Ebou Adams in the 15th minute, but the forward was brought down outside the box by Jordan Turnbull who was carded for his troubles.

The visitors dominated ball control in the opening 20 minutes with 74 per cent possession and nine shots to Salford’s three.

After a slow start from the Ammies, what followed was more promising as Graham Alexander’s men earned themselves two free-kicks in the space of two minutes around the half-hour mark, both in dangerous areas, but Ash Hunter failed to produce anything.

Shortly afterwards, a Turnbull mistake gifted Collins the ball and he seemed to be through on goal, but Vaclav Hladký came out and dealt with it. A minute later, the Czech goalie stopped Collins again, this time making a quick dive down to his left to stop a low shot that was destined for the corner of the Salford net.

After the break, Salford seemed to have found their feet in the game. Hunter picked out Bruno Andrade on the left-wing with a brilliant 40-yard pass in the 55th minute, and the Portuguese forward cut in and fired a shot at Rovers’ keeper Luke McGee who blocked it with his knees.

Immediately after that, Collins, who had been reeking havoc for Salford’s defence all afternoon, made a strong run into the box and forced another save from Hladký.

Despite being six-foot-four, Salford forward Tom Elliott was not tall enough to connect with a looping Andrade cross in the 65th minute that would have caused McGee some problems.

Just before the whistle, there was a goalmouth scramble from a Salford corner that required some quality defending from Rovers’ captain, Carl Winchester, to clear the ball off the line.

Salford City now sit in 7th in the table and remain unbeaten, with their next league game an away trip to Stevenage next weekend.



Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *