Salford city manager

 Ammies frontman James Wilson scored for the 4th consecutive home game, but Salford City were held 1-1 at home to Crawley Town in Sky Bet League Two this afternoon. 

Salford took the lead in the 57th minute through a James Wilson strike but were pegged back in the 75th minute as Crawley’s skipper Geroge Francomb secured the visitors a valuable point.

The first chance of the game came to Crawley as their striker Max Watters had an effort that was well blocked after he got sent through on goal.

Salford’s first meaningful opportunity came courtesy of  Brandon Thomas-Asante who found some space down the right-wing and curled in a dangerous cross, finding the head of Ian Henderson but his looped effort zipped over the bar.

Thomas-Asante caused further problems and had a good chance to give Salford the lead as he skipped past the last Crawley defender, but his low driven shot flew just wide of the post.

Salford continued controlling the possession as the game moved into the latter stages of the first half, but Crawley created arguably the best chance of the opening period in the 40th minute.

It came from a free-kick which was whipped into the box and found the head of Jordan Tunnicliffe, his header was on target but Vaclav Hladky made a commanding save.

After an uneventful start to the second half Salford took the lead in the 57th minute thanks to Wilson.

He turned brilliantly outside the box and opened his body up to shoot, curling his finessed effort into the top left-hand corner – unstoppable for the helpless Glenn Morris in goal.

Wilson had threatened such a goal in the first-half as he got his range in with some good efforts but it took until his effort just before the hour mark to bring Salford’s top scorer to life.

Thomas-Asante had a great chance to put Salford 2-0 up just after the hour mark but could not make the most of a low cross whipped in by Wilson from the left-wing

Crawley found the equaliser in the 75th minute against the run of play, club captain George Francomb reacted quickest to a deflected effort inside the box, smashing his effort into the top right-hand corner from close range.

Crawley then came close to taking the lead for the first time after winning a free-kick on the edge of the area – Powell’s powerful effort smartly saved by Hladky,

Jake Hessenthaler had a great chance to steal a late winner for the visitors, but his drilled shot from the edge of the area went just inches wide of the post and the spoils were shared at the final whistle.


Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *