Dr. John Cooper Clarke has recently announced a one-off online show on Saturday 12th December.
Joined by a variety of poets from across the country John Cooper Clarke is hoping to bring some much-needed Christmas cheer to households across the world.
This will be Dr. Clarke’s only performance this year, Clarke is braving the elements, and a global pandemic, to make his way to Colchester Arts Centre.
The official guest list presents a star-studded cast that are sure to bring some seasonal similes to your home.
The spoken word artists include:
- Henry Normal – After 30 years of producing and writing for TV including Gavin and Stacey and Philomena Normal has returned to his first love of poetry.
- Mike Garry – A staunch Mancunian who’s quick-fire poetry has been regularly heard on BBC Radio and TV.
- Luke Wright – The Essex born poet offers lyricism that’s inventive and engaging documenting 21st century British life with wit, humanity & panache.
- Toria Garbutt – Born and raised in the Yorkshire mining town of Knottingley she’s been described by The Guardian as “powerful, accessible, intelligent and musical.”
- Martin Newell – The lead singer of pop band Cleaners from Venus is a Colchester legend who has released several volumes of poetry.
- Clare Ferguson-Walker – The sculptor, painter singer and poet has been described as hilarious, crude and thought provoking in review of her hit one woman show, California Scheming.
- Ross Sutherland – This Edinburgh born poet has written for radio & stage as well as writing three poetry books.
As well as supporting poets and artists the event will also raise funds for the venue as well as Colchester Food Bank, Salford Food Bank & Manchester Food Bank.
Despite all his other performances being postponed until Spring/Summer 2021 Clarke has kept himself busy publishing his much-anticipated memoir ‘I Wanna Be Yours’ with Picador in October.
Speaking about writing his book John Cooper Clarke said: “The books taken up most of my time, lockdown in terms of productivity has done me a favour.”
The book has been a hit with critics and fans alike selling over 15,000 copies in the first month.
Tickets for ‘I Wanna Be Yours At Christmas: An Evening Of Poetry And Laughs With John Cooper Clarke And Friends’ can be found here
Attendees will be able to buy merchandise from the poet at a reduced rate at the show, a perfect Christmas gift for a poet near you.