A late Ian Henderson goal sees the points shared in a close encounter at the Peninsula Stadium, keeping Salford’s play-off hopes alive.

The 2,575 people in attendance were treated to a tight game, and a thrilling last 15 minutes as Salford scored an 89th minute goal to cancel out Barrow’s fight back.

Salford came into the game having won three of their last five games, although seemingly the last team in the play-off chasing pack and needing a win to keep the pressure on the other sides.

At the other end of the table, Barrow travelled to the Peninsula following an impressive 4-0 victory over table toppers Forest Green Rovers which saw them move three points clear of the bottom three with a game in hand.

salford barrow
Sunny skies above the Peninsula stadium

Ammies boss Gary Bowyer made three changes to the side that lost to Bristol Rovers on Good Friday, with Matthew Lund, Jordan Turnbull and Liam Shepard coming into the squad.

For Barrow, manager Phil Brown only made one change with Patrick Brough replacing Joe Grayson who sustained an injury in their last outing.

Despite being second best for much of the first half, Salford took the lead as a long Ibou Touray throw was cleared to Ryan Watson on the edge of the box, who scuffed his first attempt, but saw his second deflected off Brough and past Barrow goalkeeper Paul Farman.

This came after a series of Barrow chances and a control of possession, with Connor Brown having the best of the early chances, rifling a 25-yard effort just wide of the post.

Photo credit: Salford City FC (Charlotte Tattersall).

Lund also had a great chance before the half drew to a close, chesting down a long throw but firing over the bar from close range.

Barrow came out for the second half and continued the trend of the first, piling on the pressure and almost getting back on level terms after Salford defender Corrie Ndaba looped a clearance over his goalkeeper Tom King, but luckily onto the bar and over.

There were many more chances that followed this, as the Ipswich Town loanee Ndaba drove forward but again hit the side netting.

But 65 minutes into the game the 918 travelling fans had something to celebrate, when captain John Rooney whipped a free kick onto the head of substitute Josh Gordon, scoring with one of his first touches as he headed a deserved leveller past King.

Brandon Thomas-Asante tried to get Salford the equaliser they desired, latching onto a pass and having his shot blocked, with manager Bowyer believing it struck the defenders arm, but his shouts came to no avail and a corner was given.

Then 15 minutes of excitement ensued with chances coming at both ends, and when substitute George Williams drove forward unchallenged and played a pinpoint ball to Aaron Amadi-Holloway, he slotted in to put give Barrow the lead, and almost give them the perfect easter period.

Photo credit: Salford City FC (Charlotte Tattersall).

But Salford showed their character, and after a goalmouth scrap saw Thomas-Astane loop a ball back across the box to veteran goal scorer Ian Henderson, he managed to nod one goalward and after much confusion as to whether it had crossed the line, the officials decided it had.

Before the game Salford will have been the team more disappointed not to get the three points, but with the chances created for both teams a draw seemingly was the fitting result, but that will not stop Barrow fans feeling hard done by conceding so late on.

The match highlights can be viewed here:

Salford V Barrow: post-match comments

Gary Bowyer was full of praise with his sides character to come back from going behind, but was not so pleased with the officials.

The Salford boss Gary Bowyer said:

In relation to the last minute equaliser, he added: “I can’t question the character of the group, their response was fantastic. Brandon keeping it in and Hendo getting on the end of it”.

When looking forward towards Salford’s next game against Oldham, Bowyer added: “What we will do is concentrate on our next game, we’ll recover, dust ourselves down, see who’s ready to go again fitness wise and look forward to a local derby”.

Scorer of Salford’s equaliser, Ian Henderson, said: “It was a battle from first whistle to the last. Barrow came with a good game plan against us and we were fortunate in the end to come away with a point, but nonetheless we’re very very happy with that point.”


Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *