The decision is a huge disappointment to the 18,000 people that tried to stop the decision by signing a letter the health secretary, and over 6,500 people personally wrote to their local MPS surrounding the matter.
The decision will be reviewed in the spring. Anthony Nolan, the UK’s blood cancer charity and bone marrow register, says it will keep building evidence and gathering a case for second transplants until the decision is overturned.
— Anthony Nolan (@AnthonyNolan) September 5, 2016
As part of the announcement it was also confirmed that NHS England will routinely fund first transplants for patients with Waldenström’s Macroglobulinaemia. The charity welcome sthe fact that stem cell transplant remains an option for patients with this condition, and would like to thank every supporter who backed the campaign to guarantee funding.
Paul Gray, who lives with melanoma and myeloma cancer, has undergone a stem cell transplant previously, he gave his thoughts on the recent news:
“I think the funding cut will be absolutely devastating, for people like me I might need a second transplant and if there’s no funding it’s going to make my situation go from bad to worse.
“I’ll be writing to my MP because I have stem cells stored away but if there’s no funding to give me that second operation I don’t know what I’m going to do.”
Am NHS spokesperson said: “Following careful consideration of the evidence by clinicians, experts and patient representatives, this intervention is not routinely offered on the NHS due to its relatively low success, but a healthcare professional can submit an Individual Funding Request for the treatment on behalf of their patient.
“This treatment has the opportunity to be considered for funding again as part of the next annual prioritisation round in the spring.”
The NHS has not released any in depth information regarding the criteria surrounding second stem cell transplants.
For more information on the Anthony Nolan Charity go to: