SALFORD City and Boston United shared the points in a frantic 3-3 draw at Moor Lane in the Vanarama National League North on Saturday.

It was a disastrous start for the hosts as Richie Allen headed into his own net but they were level soon after through Michael Nottingham.

Boston restored their earlier advantage through tricky winger Jay Rollins before a dominant second half saw goals from James Poole and John Johnston make it 3-2 to the home side.

But with 11 minutes left on the clock it was the visitors who secured a point after Gregg Smith spun and scored well to cap off a six-goal encounter.

Salford dominated the ball early on and saw their first shot on target after less than 30 seconds.

Their intense pressing off the ball often led to needless fouls however, which became their undoing after 10 minutes.

It was a familiar story for the Ammies who, like in so many games this season, again failed to capitalise on a host of chances that fell their way.

With only minutes gone, Salford almost had a goal when Jordan Hulme failed to get on the end of a great low cross from Richie Allen.

Frustratingly for Salford, Boston were yet to register a single shot on target when a lofted free kick into the area was headed into his own net by Allen.

Salford rallied well despite the set back, and found themselves level only four minutes later when Nottingham headed in a neat corner from the right under pressure.

In what was a very open game, Salford’s own mistakes kept threatening to ruin their day.

After 17 minutes another Boston free kick in the middle of the pitch was played long, with the failed clearance falling to an unmarked Lewis Hillard on the edge of the area.

His first time volley sailed ominously over the bar.

The game then seemed to calm down with Salford gaining control, only for Boston’s Rollins to be played in with a nice through ball after 35 minutes.

Salford’s Nottingham initially recovered brilliantly to block Rollins’ first attempt, only for the ball to fall back to Rollins’ feet and at the second attempt he calmly slotted the ball away while Nottingham lay helpless.

From then on the game followed a similar pattern, as Boston never really threatened to extend their lead.

Their only clear chance to do so came through Rollins again in the second half.

When through on goal once more, Rollins this time attempted to run around Salford goalkeeper Jay Lynch, only to see Lynch tackle brilliantly.

Instead the majority of chances were again created in front of the Boston net and after 52 minutes Poole played a perfectly weighted through ball to Allen, only to see his shot well saved.

As their tally of missed chances increased, Salford’s frustrations began to show in the form of more needless fouls and the occasional misplaced pass.

Eventually however their pressure paid off, with Poole finding just enough space inside the Boston box to fire home from close range.

Having equalised for a second time, Salford’s confidence began to grow noticeably, and after 70 minutes substitute Johnston fired the home side in front.

A long free kick into the Boston area was flicked on acrobatically by Nottingham and Johnston then confidently volleyed the ball past keeper Henry into the far corner.

Having dominated possession all afternoon it seemed as though Salford were set to hang on to their hard fought lead, but a lapse in concentration cost them dearly.

A Boston free kick on the edge of the area was played quickly, catching the Salford defence off guard and the resultant shot cannoned off the inside of the post.

The ball rebounded out to an unmarked Boston player only six yards out who scuffed his shot badly, only to see teammate Gregg Smith guide the ball home from little more than a yard out.

Rather than let their heads drop, the home side rallied again but simply couldn’t find a winner.

Agonisingly for Salford, the final whistle blew with Boston having only registered two shots on target, but for their dropped points, the home side have only themselves to blame.

After the game Salford City’s joint-manager Bernard Morley said: “I think we created enough chances and done enough to win a game.

“I just think that we’ve come into this new league and set off like a house on fire.

“Maybe we thought we’re better than we are.”

Morley will hope his side can get back to winning ways at home against Tamworth next weekend.

By James Diamond

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *