Salford residents are being warned about asbestos dust following the major fire overnight at the Lucozade factory in Little Hulton.
Little Hulton residents have been urged to keep their windows and doors closed to lower the risk of asbestos contamination.
White asbestos dust was visible on the ground in the streets near the factory on Worsley Trading Estate throughout the day.
Footage from the fire last night in Little Hulton at the former Lucozade factory. Residents are urged to keep windows and doors shut and stay away from white asbestos on the ground. #salford Video credit: @suzi_inchains pic.twitter.com/g00GmNmGk4
— Salford Now (@SalfordNow) November 15, 2018
Incident Commander Tony Bryan, of Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue, said: “As a result of the fire, some asbestos has been blow onto surfaces in the local area.”
Advice from Salford City Council about the dangers of asbestos said: “If there is debris on the car windscreen, damp it down using water and flush away small particles into the drain. Pick up larger pieces with gloves and place in two plastic bags and dispose at local tip. Don’t sweep, vacuum or break down as it could create airborne dust.”
Manchester Road West was sealed off as firefighters brought the blaze under control using 10 fire tenders and two aerial appliances. The fire was under control by 5am and the road re-opened just after 9am.
The cause of the fire is not known.