GREATER MANCHESTER Fire and Rescue Service have launched an investigation following a blaze that took place at Newby Road Industrial Estate late last night.
Firefighters were called to the scene at 5.46pm, after an industrial unit containing ‘paper materials, printing machinery and stationary’ caught alight.
The fire was not fully extinguished until the early hours of this morning, as fire crews wearing breathing apparatus used hose reels, jets, and ultra-high pressure cold-cutting lances, to tackle the blaze.
Station Manager Steve Twinn spoke about the incident, saying: “We have been working with the owners of the business and our partners to deal with this incident, and fire crews have been doing their best to remove quantities of machinery and materials from the property. When it has been safe to do so, to help the affected business as much as possible.”
Residents in the Hazel Grove and Stepping Hill area are being advised to keep their windows and doors closed; due to the potentially toxic smoke in the air.
More to follow…