Salford City under-18’s were dumped out of the FA Youth Cup after a humiliating 4-1 defeat to Wolves.

The game started at a slow pace with neither side taking control and both sides were battling intensely in the middle of the park.

The young Ammies came into this game off the back of an emphatic 6-1 victory over Shrewsbury Town, and the close opening exchanges suggested they were in a confident mood.

However, just as the clock struck the 10th minute Fil Mabate picked up the ball on the right and swung in a delicious cross for Nathan Cross to nod past the helpless Brad Rose, to make it 1-0.

The hosts then proceeded to take control of the game and had a golden opportunity to make their lead comfortable after Fraser was felled in the box.

Oliver Tipton, however, completely missed the target to keep Salford’s hopes of a revival alive

Despite their good fortune Salford failed to capitalise and were faced with an uphill battle when Harry Birstwistle drilled in a low cross, which Owen Farmer tucked away.

Salford did however rally back and nearly halved the deficit when Finlay Bartram struck the crossbar with an effort that had goalkeeper Palmi Arinbjornsson beaten.

The rally back was short-lived and just prior to halftime Tyler Roberts slid the ball past Rose after some excellent work down the right side.

Despite the game seemingly being wrapped up to Wolves, Salford did markedly improve following the break and on the 55th minute mark Ben Finley slotted home to give the away side hope.

The hope was short-lived after Roberts made the score 4-1 after he picked the ball up on the halfway line and poked home.

Salford yet again though, refused to be downhearted and hit the bar yet again through Harvey Walsh’s header.

Nevertheless, Wolves’ youngsters ran out deserved winners and Salford will be disappointed in the manner in which they lost the game after they entered the game off the back of two consecutive victories.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *