MACCLESFIELD Town completed the league double over Wrexham on Tuesday night with a comprehensive 3-0 win at the Racecourse Ground.

The Silkmen pulverised their opponents from the first minute to last breaking the deadlock through Danny Rowe’s deflected drive just after half-time.

Mitch Hancox capitalised on some slack Wrexham defending to nip in and double the Silkmen’s advantage before Danny Whitaker rounded off the scoring with a low drive to cap off a lovely move a minute from time.

The Dragons misery was compiled when substitute Jordan White blasted a stoppage time penalty over the bar on a night to forget for Dean Keates side.

The Silkmen made a lightning start in North Wales. Mitch Hancox 25-yard drive stinging the palms of home stopper Luke Coddington in the very first minute of play before Andy Halls had another long range shot deflected just wide of the post.

Wrexham made their first foray into Macc territory in the eighth minute when Gerry McDonagh’s low shot was held comfortably by the Silkmen’s Craig Ross.

Macc reasserted their dominance as the half wore on, Chris Holroyd firing over after a neat one-two with David Fitzpatrick before Jack Mackreth miscued into the Glyndwr University Stand when well placed in the corner of the area.

Danny Rowe had a flicked header tipped to safety by Coddington before Holroyd spurned the most menacing position of the half when he did magnificently to turn both Wrexham centre-backs with one touch but found the ex-Huddersfield goalkeeper equal to his low drive.

Danny Whitaker had the final chance of the first period when he volleyed Halls’ cross towards the bottom corner but that man Coddington was there again to thwart John Askey’s men and somehow the teams trudged down the tunnel level.

The Dragons had the first chance of the second period, ex-Silkman John Rooney flashing wide of Ross’ goal just four minutes after the break before John Askey’s men did eventually finally take the lead in the 51st minute.

Another former Macclesfield player Hamza Bencherif flicked the lively Mackreth’s cross to temporary safety but Rowe retrieved the loose ball, went round Robbie Evans with consummate ease, and his low shot took a wicked deflection to wrong-foot Coddington and give the Silkmen a lead they would never relinquish.

The hosts than had a spell of light possession and put some crosses into the Macc box but nothing to trouble Ross before a bizarre incident doubled John Askey’s sides lead.

The ball was played into the feet of Holroyd who again showcased a wonderful first touch to turn Curtis Tilt and seemingly have a clean run on goal. The Wrexham number six then appeared to jump into the visitor’s frontman who hit the turf but referee Scott Oldham inexplicably awarded no foul. Tilt, almost admitting foul-play, stopped in his tracks leaving the ball loose and rolling towards the penalty area. Hancox was quickest to react and kept his composure to slot past Coddington for his first goal in blue and white.

The second goal kicked the stuffing out of Wrexham and Macc toyed with their opposition, passing the ball around comfortably whilst the 121 visiting supporters cheered every pass.

Askey, recently linked with the managerial post at the Racecourse Ground, chose to introduce strikers Richard Brodie and Jack Sampson for the closing stages and both were involved in the Silkmen’s third and final goal.

Brodie, on-loan from York City, shielded the ball well before floating an inch-perfect lofted pass for Kingsley James to latch onto, the former Chester and Halifax midfielder twice flicked the ball over his own head to retain possession from nearby defenders and laid off to Sampson who’s drilled cross was stroked home by Whitaker to rubber-stamp Macc’s victory.

The Dragons were given a chance to grab a consolation goal in second half stoppage-time when George Pilkington felled Rekeil Pyke in the area and but substitute Jordan White missed the chance to net his first goal for his side as he blazed high and over the target to the dismay of the few home supporters that remained inside the ground.

Overall the Silkmen were far and away the better outfit. Wingers Rowe and Mackreth were constant thorns in the hosts side and Macc thrived playing on a bigger pitch than the one they’re used to at the Moss Rose.

Macc’s win took them up to seventh in the National League, seven points off the play-offs with up to two games in hand over some of their promotion rivals. As for Wrexham they now have just one win in eight matches and more performances like this will lead to some fans looking nervously over their shoulder towards the relegation zone.


Wrexham: Coddington, Evans (Barry ’67), Tilt, Bencherif, Edwards, Rooney, Carrington, Evans, McDonagh (Pyke ’45), Harrad, Rutherford (White ’70)

Subs not used: Jalal, Powell

Booked: Evans, Tilt

Goals: None

Macclesfield: Ross, Halls, McCombe, Pilkington, Fitzpatrick, Mackreth (Sampson ’80), James, Hancox, Whitaker, Rowe, Holroyd (Brodie ’80)

Subs not used: Byrne, Boot, Wellens

Booked: None

Goals: Rowe (51), Hancox (64), Whitaker (89)

Scott Oldham

Attendance: 3,204 (121 visitors)

By Jordan Davies


Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *