The University of Salford men’s Rugby League team thrashed the University of Hull’s 2nd men’s team 100-0 in the Northern Conference Cup semi-final on Wednesday.

The game was played at a neutral ground – Belle Vue Sports Village in Manchester.

Salford scored a total of 18 tries, as fullback Dan Munt contributed with six of those. Tom Johnson and Conor Mulcahy both scored a brace with Luke Greenwood, Hasan Sadrazam, Josh Hill, Dan Norman, Luke Baraclough, Joe Smith, Joe Woolley and Jake Taylor getting one try each.

Salford raced out of the blocks as they scored two tries to take a 10-0 lead in the opening ten minutes. Dan Munt touched down in front of the posts after a great break by Josh Hill opened up space in the Hull line.

They extended their lead to 22-0 before the 20th minute mark as Luke Greenwood and Hasan Sadrazam went over.

Hill found Greenwood on the right side and he was able to run towards the front of the posts to score.

Sadrazam bulldozed his way over the line minutes later, as it was the prop’s first involvement since coming on from the bench. He powered his way past the depleted Hull line to score under the posts and Hill converted both tries to make it 22-0.

Three more tries then followed for Salford before the break as Dan Munt, Tom Johnson and Hill all scored.

For Munt’s try, Dan Norman broke through the Hull line and he offloaded to the supporting Munt who ran towards the whitewash with ease.

Salford’s Sadrazam was sent to the sin bin on the 26th minute after an interference in play.

That yellow card did not seem to trouble Salford’s rhythm, as Johnson sprinted half of the pitch to touch down.

Hill got Salford’s seventh try, as he found a gap and raced away to dart over in front of the posts. Greenwood took over kicking duties and made it 40-0 with the two points.

Salford started the second half like they did the first, as they racked up a further four tries in 13 minutes through Munt (2), Johnson and Dan Norman.

An 80 metre break by Munt saw him comfortably touch down in front of the posts for his hat trick and five minutes later, Johnson went over for his second try in the left corner after some great skill by Greenwood.

Norman then stormed over which was quickly followed by Munt’s fourth try as he proved too fast for the Hull defence. Hill’s conversions made it 56-0.

Another two tries then came for Salford as their lead increased to 70 points.

Luke Baraclough got on the score sheet on the left side before Joe Smith darted over in the right corner but Rob Downing could not convert the two tries.

In what was a long final ten minutes for Hull, Salford scored five more tries through Joe Woolley, Mulcahy, Munt and Jake Taylor.

Skipper Woolley found a gap and out-paced the chasing Hull pack to touch down before Mulcahy got his second, as he scored a carbon copy of his first.

Adam Ireland broke through to set up Munt who went over and the fullback got his sixth try of the game four minutes later.

Jake Taylor rounded the scoring off in style, as he stormed over and Hill added the extras to give Salford a 100-0 win.

Salford Coach, Alex Davidson said: “How do you ask more from that? To be honest, we asked questions to ourselves about our performance even though we went in at half time 40-0 up but it just shows the quality of the boys.

“We came out the second half and scored 60 points and you can’t ask for much more as a coach. It would have been nice to play some of our structures but in a game like that you just can’t do it as we had so many breaks.

“The boys did what we asked from them which was to go hard and we ripped straight through them and it was a brilliant, brilliant win!”

Dan Munt, who scored six tries in the game, said: “I’m happy with that but as long as the team win I’m not bothered.”

Salford will now play local rivals Manchester University in the Northern Conference Cup Final after they beat the Northumbria B side.

On the upcoming Final, Munt admitted: “I cant wait! It’s going to be the game of the season, especially after last time when we beat them they are now going to be up for it and hopefully it will be a good game.”

Both sides will also meet in the annual Varsity Challenge to battle it out for the university trophy a week later.

Coach Davidson said: “You pick your game up for a final and you pick it up again against our arch enemies, it doesn’t get much better, does it?

“Once again, we turn around next week and we’ve got to pick up again so its no easy task for the boys but its one they are more than capable of doing.

“Two trophies in two weeks, bring it on! I’m looking forward to it, I can’t wait and I’m sure the boys can’t wait. It’s going to be an interesting couple of weeks.”

Read more about the Northern Conference Cup on Quays News.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *