Salford City Forest Green

Ammies captain Nathan Pond blamed poor defending for his side’s 4-0 to an impressive Forest Green Rovers at the Peninsula on Saturday.

Salford City were well beaten by Forest Green Rovers, shipping four goals in a match that saw the home team’s manger Graham Alexander make three changes to the side that conceded four away to Crewe last weekend.

Joey Jones, Nathan Pond and Luke Armstong were introduced at for Salford but could do little to stem the tide against the Gloucestershire side, who moved up to fourth in the table. Salford slipped to 18th after the game and now have just 11 points from 11 games.

The tone of the match was set just three minutes into the game when Matty Stevens opened the scoring for the visitors.

Some good build up play from Forest Green created a crossing opportunity for Captain Joseph Mills, who then drove a low cross into the box from the left hand side, for Stevens to poke the ball home unmarked.

On the 16th minute that early pressure seemed to take its toll on Salford once again as Aaron Collins doubled his team’s lead, thanks to a defensive mistake from Salford’s Carl Piergianni.

The centre back passed the ball short and blind back to goalkeeper Kyle Letheren, only for the ball to be intercepted by Collins – who slotted home from close range.

Things were about to go from bad to worse for the Ammies as on the half hour mark, Ebou Adams grabbed Forest Green’s third, leaving Salford a mountain to climb.

The third goal came after some brilliant individual work from Ebou Adams in the midfield, who turned his man and got a little piece of good fortune as his shot deflected into the bottom right corner past the despairing dive of Lethren.

After this goal, Salford picked up a string of quick yellow cards as frustration started to show and the visitors three up at half-time.

Salford Manager Graham Alexander made two changes as Salford desperately looked for a route back into the game, with Danny Lloyd and Jake Jervis replacing Mark Shelton and Cameron Burgess.

Salford started the second half brightly, finding a few good crossing positions down the left-hand side but to no real avail.

On the 53rd minute of play Danny Lloyd had a free kick on the edge of the area, which he struck well but fizzed just wide of the post.

Then came the final blow for the home side in the 59th minute and against the run of play, as Matt Stevens grabbed Forrest Green’s fourth to put the result of the game beyond any doubt.

Jervis brilliantly found an unmarked Dieseruvwe with a cross but the striker’s header could only find the hands of the Forest Green ‘keeper.

It was just a bad day at the office for Salford who now need to turn their attentions to an away trip at Walsall next Saturday.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *