Salford Red Devils

Salford Red Devils’ impressive vein of form continued as the side defeated previously unbeaten Hull KR 17-10 at the Salford Community Stadium.

Deon Cross and Chris Hankinson scored first-half tries for the Red Devils, while Marc Sneyd maintained his 100 per cent kicking record, the scrum half kicked four goals and scored a vital drop goal with nine minutes left on the clock to secure victory.

Both sides had a player sent to the sin bin in an increasingly frantic second half, with Cross of Salford and Hull KR’s Peta Hiku shown yellow cards.

Trailing 16-0, Hull KR mounted a late fightback with tries from Hiku and Jez Litten, but it proved too little too late as Salford held on for victory, ending Rovers’ hopes of winning three games at the start of a Super League season for the first time.

Joe Burgess made a return to the club where he made his debut. It was Burgess’ 200th career appearance, 54 of those being were in a Salford shirt.

Prior to the game, Salford full-back Ryan Brierley was ruled out of the match late, he pulled up injured during the warm-up, Chris Atkin was brought into the starting line-up as his replacement.

Following their wins over Hull FC and Leeds, the visitors came flying out of the traps and dominated possession in the early stages. Despite their attacking intent the Robins failed to make a breakthrough.

Salford’s game plan was built around the kicking of Sneyd, better suited to the wet conditions, the side weathered the early Hull Fc storm and took the lead after 15 minutes.

Salford Red devils
Deon Cross securing the ball to make it 4-0 from a try image via sky sports

A well-placed kick from Sneyd close to the Hull KR try line was touched down by Cross despite the challenge of opposing hooker Litten. Sneyd guided over the conversion to make it 6-0.

Salford scored their second try with five minutes left of the half. Chris Hankinson did brilliantly to latch onto a pass from Chris Atkin and score in the corner. Sneyd provided an excellent conversion from the touchline to make it 12-0.

Sneyd continued to kick brilliantly in the second half, he converted two penalties in the space of three minutes after the restart.

Salford’s second period was not to be without a setback.

Hull KR took immediate advantage of Deon Cross being sin-binned for obstruction. Mikey Lewis found Peta Hiku who slid over to reduce the arrears. With Jez Litten off the field, James Batchelor took the responsibility of trying to kick the conversion. The second-row forward could not add to Hull’s total.

The visitors thought they had scored a second try as Lewis capitalised on a loose ball, but the video referee intervened and disallowed the score on the grounds of an offside in the build-up.

Just as Cross returned from his sin-bin, Hull KR found themselves a man short. The Robins were reduced to 12 men when Hiku was shown a yellow card for dissent.

Just as Salford returned to their full complement as Cross completed his spell in the sin bin, Hull KR found themselves reduced to 12 when Hiku was shown a yellow card for dissent.

Although the away side were playing a man down, the Robins would score next get and get within a converted score of Salford. Litten broke clear for a try after he backed up Kelepi Tanginoa’s drive forward. The 25-year-old provided a successful conversion

But it was Sneyd’s quality that would ultimately prove decisive, he slotted over a drop goal to seal the 17-10 victory.

Salford Red Devils Hull
Paul Sneyd winning kick to make it 17-10 image via Sky Sports


Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *