UNIVERSITY of Salford Men’s 1s football team fought hard to secure a point in a close encounter with the University Campus of Football Business.

It was a balanced game that kicked off the new BUCS season for Salford.

The visitors were arguably on top early, putting high amounts of pressure on Salford’s defence.

This pressure eventually ended in a penalty to UCFB in the 10th minute of the game, which was put away confidently into the bottom right hand corner of the net.

The high press continued with a dangerous corner to UCFB five minutes later but it was eventually cleared by the home side.

It was not until 20 minutes in until Salford really got into the game, with attackers gaining believe as they started to make dangerous, penetrative runs.

A minute later, Salford won a free kick which was driven low to the keepers right but was saved with relative ease.

After six minutes of domination, Salford’s central midfielder Mitch Andrews scored a fantastic 20-yard shot into the top right hand corner leaving UCFB’s keeper in no-mans land, making it 1-1.

The home side continued to dominate the game until UCFB won a corner in the 35th minute, following a spell of sustained pressure on the Salford box.

The game was perfectly balanced going into a second half which saw Salford dominate for the first half an hour.

UCFB’s keeper kept them in the game with three great saves, including a great shot following a defence-splitting diagonal ball from Andrews.

Salford’s pressure eventually paid off with substitute Ryan Can fired into the bottom right hand corner of the net to tip it to 2-1.

UCFB equalised with 15 minutes to play as, against the run of play, they capitalised on some poor clearances from Salford.

After the visitors equaliser, the match became far more balanced with both teams enjoying spells of pressure.

As the game drew to an end Salford enjoyed a good period attacking UCFB’s goal with the keeper again being drawn into some good saves from two corners and a free kick, keeping his team in the game and eventually ensuring a point for his side as the referee drew the game to an end.

With the start of the BUCS season an opportunity to lay down a marker, both sides will have come away relatively content with a point.

By Daniel George

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *