Salford City made a triumphant return to the Peninsula Stadium by extending their unbeaten run winning 3-1 against Wrexham.

Despite coming into the game 17 places below their opponents in the League Two table, Salford City once again proved that they are more than a match for any side in the division under Karl Robinson.

Both managers fielded changed sides from their previous games against Crewe and Blackburn respectively. Luke Bolton was named on the Wrexham bench following his transfer to the Welsh side from the Ammies days ago.

Throughout his tenure so far Robinson will have been pleased by his team’s ability to start games on the front foot.

Undeterred by Wrexham’s lofty position in the league, The Ammies came out firing and were rewarded for their dominance in the opening exchanges.

Former Wrexham defender Theo Vassell was the beneficiary of poor marking from the Red Dragons. He headed home Luke Garbutt’s in-swinging corner from a tight angle to give Salford City the lead after just 6 minutes.

The visitor’s set-piece woes continued soon after, Elliot Watt’s corner from the left evaded all in the middle, the midfielder’s delivery sailed over Arthur Okonkwo directly into the goal.

Salford continued to pile on the pressure bombarding Okonkwo with shots from the edge of the area.

Wrexham’s keeper was on hand to make a smart double save, denying both Macaleny and Morton in quick succession as the home side looked to kill the game off.

But the visiting side would snatch the third goal of the game against the run of play as they reduced the arrears shortly before half-time.

Salford overcame the stern test posed by Wrexham Credit: Edward Hayton

Centre-back Ben Tozer recycled an overhit freekick from James Mclean, standing the ball up for Aaron Hayden to head towards goal.

The most lively player in an underwhelming first half for the visitors: Sam Dalby was on hand to redirect Hayden’s effort past a sprawling Alex Cairns.

When the two sides met earlier in the campaign, Wrexham overcame a 2-0 deficit to win 3-2.

Although the Welsh outfit had been second-best throughout the game, they threatened a comeback and should have regained parity after halftime. With an empty goal at his mercy, Paul Mullin headed narrowly wide from close range.

Matt Smith would ensure that there would be no repeat revival for Wrexham on this occasion as he spectacularly volleyed Elliot Watt’s diagonal ball from the right past Okonkwo to restore his sides two goal lead.

Luke Bolton made a lamentable appearance off the bench for his new club, the winger failed to service Mullin and Fletcher as he found himself contained with energetic ex-teammate Kelley Nmai.

Salford went closest to scoring the game’s fifth goal, Junior Luamba was unfortunate to see his strike cannon back off the post with time running out.

The Ammies are now five games unbeaten, the side are steadily progressing up the league and now sit in 19th place.
Defeat for Wrexham sees the Dragons slip out of the automatic promotion places.

Salford’s will be looking to further extend their unbeaten run, Karl Robinson’s men will travel to Swindon next Saturday (3pm Kickoff).

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *