Salford City’s League Two meeting with Swindon Town ended in dramatic fashion with teenager Liam Humbles securing a 2-2 result in injury time.

Salford continued their league season with a 2-2 draw at the Peninsula Stadium after the young forward smashed in a 96th-minute equalizer to salvage a point for the Ammies.

Neil Wood made one change coming into this game, with Ryan Watson coming in for Stephen Mallan, whilst Swindon Town made no changes after their victory over Newport County.

Salford opened the game brilliantly, and after seven minutes the home team made it count and took the lead.

The Ammies right-back Ethan Ingram ran half the length of the pitch down the right channel before a solid finish in the bottom left corner, assisted by Luke Bolton.

Swindon answered shortly after with a clever corner variant and equalized. A hard pass along the ground to an unmarked Remeao Hutton outside the box, having the time and space to put the ball past Cairns with a deflected shot.

The league’s joint top scorer Matt Smith came close to putting the home team back in the lead with a great cross from Luke Bolton but headed it right at Swindon’s number one.

Micheal Flynn’s side really got a grip on the game from 35 minutes and onwards but did not manage to create enough big chances to grab a lead into halftime.

Salford City v Swindon Town. Photo by Jonathan Halvorsen

In the second half Salford looked eager to open freshly and create chances once again.

The substitute Stephen Mallan came close with a good long-range effort which was saved by the fingertips of Murphy Mahoney.

After the turn of 60 minutes, The Robins took control of the game and found more rhythm in their play.

The away side was denied the lead when Rushian Hepburn-Murphy came one-on-one with Cairns, who reacted quickly and kept the scores tied.

The Ammies got pushed far back in their own half after 70 minutes but looked to break Swindon’s momentum eight minutes later with a great chance again by Smith at the back post.

The game’s late dramatics would start in the 84th minute when Swindon Town were awarded a penalty.

Dan Kemp played a lovely chip through ball to Hepburn-Murphy who got a push in his back alone with the goalkeeper from Curtis Tilt, who was given his marching orders by referee Lewis Smith.

The experienced Charlie Austin stepped up for The Wiltshire side and fired a perfect penalty in the bottom left-hand corner.

But the drama wouldn’t end there with the start of eight minutes of added time, Salford pushed for an elusive equalizer.

Salford’s hero would come in the unlikely form of Liam Humbles, who was making his second league appearance this season.

The ball dropped in front of the teenager deep inside the box, who blasted a volley in The Robins net to send Peninsula Stadium into eruption.

After this result, Salford fell to 16th place before their away game against Doncaster Rovers on Tuesday night.

One Comment

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *