Ryan Watson’s well-taken first-half strike secured a point on a tough night away to Bradford City in EFL League Two.

Both sides arrived at Valley Parade following extended breaks, with their games at the weekend cancelled due to the adverse weather.

Karl Robinson’s men named an unchanged side from the squad that beat Crawley 1-0 in their last match, whilst the hosts made two from their draw with Colchester.

The home side had an early chance to take the lead, with Clarke Odour’s ball into the box, with Ash Taylor failing to get enough connection on the ball.

But Salford came into the ascendency, with Junior Luamba and Conor McAleny both contributing their own special moments to push The Bantams back into their own area.

And it was Luamba’s well-driven shot at Sam Walker that led to The Ammies going ahead, with the keeper parrying the ball into the path of Ryan Watson, who hammered home from the edge of the area.

Bradford seized their next chance just minutes later, with Alex Gillead’s 25-yard effort drilled low and past Alex Cairns. It rattled the post and rolled neatly into the path of Brad Halliday, who tapped home into the empty net to level the match.

Matt Smith had a couple of chances to reclaim the Ammies’ advantage with two headers as the half wore on, but neither failed to trouble Walker in the net.

After a halftime break, the home side came charging out of the gates, with debutant Tyreik Wright putting his shot wide of the far post.

But the pressure never failed to materialise, with Curtis Tilt and Theo Vassell keeping the Bantams’ forwards quiet for much of the game.

Salford City pre-match warmup ahead of their game away to Bradford City. Image Credit: Lewis Gray

Robinson looked to switch up his attack, bringing Callum Hendry and Kelly Nmai on for Luamba and McAleny just after the hour mark.

Luke Bolton looked to trouble the Yorkshire club’s defence, with his curling effort rolling past the far post of Walker’s net.

At the other end, Odour’s through ball played in Harry Chapman, who forced a fantastic save from a rushing Cairns, who then stopped Sam Stubbs from the resulting corner.

The home side pushed for the winner, winning a series of free kicks deep in The Ammies’ half, but Richie Smallwood’s deliveries left much to be desired.

Luke Bolton, who troubled Liam Ridehalgh for much of the second 45, floated a ball in with four minutes left on the clock. An incoming Matt Smith and Hendry both missed the ball, a big chance going amiss for Salford to claim all three points.

The full-time whistle ended a quiet second half, with both sides sharing the points. The result sees Salford jump up to 20th place, ahead of Doncaster Rovers on goal difference.

The Ammies travel to Crewe Alexandra this Saturday, with kick-off at the Mornflake Stadium taking place at 3pm.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *